‘Ballycogley Castle’: The original Ballycogley Castle, dating probably from the 13th century, still stands and although it is now in poor shape, it is steeped in history.  Apparently from the invasion of Henry II, the family of Wadding was among the early colonists planted in Forth & Bargy and established at Ballycogley Castle.  One of these Robert Wadding was chief sergeant of Wexford from 1356 to 1357 and Thomas Wadding was sheriff of Wexford in 1383.  The Castle also has the distinction of being the birthplace of the Most Reverend Luke Wadding, Bishop of Ferns in 1679.  Ballycogley was fortified after Cromwell and Richard Wadding is found in the list of those transplanted.  Down through the years the Castle passed by marriage into the family of the Barringtons where it remained until early in the last century.  Apparently Ballycogley Castle was sold in 1921 by a cousin of Major Charles Barrington from Cornwall.

Ballycogley Castle is approached by a tree-lined, stone wall avenue and nicely set-back offering total peace and privacy.

The Period Residence ‘Ballycogley’ House’, stands close to the ruins of the Castle and is now presented generally in good order.  It is full of very considerable charm and character, approached by a gravelled avenue surrounded by some fine mature trees, with the arched entrance to the Courtyard beside the house.  The outbuildings and land have the further benefit of rear access.   The land is laid out in 10 principle divisions, together with some small paddocks around the house.  It has extensive frontage onto the Wexford to Kilmore Road and a minor road, off which is the main entrance. A ten minute drive will take you to the Rosslare Europort, with daily sailings to the UK and mainland Europe. All amenities are available at nearby Wexford Town.

There are extensive outbuildings in the Courtyard adjacent to the Castle.   These comprise 11 loose boxes and potential to easily convert existing buildings to provide more.  These are accessed through a charming Courtyard and open to the rear of the old house, paddock and main entrance.

The lands are presented in excellent order, having been well farmed down through the years.  This is a parcel of highly productive, sound free-draining land.  It is gently undulating, all currently all in tillage and in suitable divisions for its size.

Accommodation
Entrance Hallway 3.84m x 2.50m With ceiling coving and ornate centre piece.
Inner Hallway 6.50m x 2.48m With feature staircase and ceiling coving.
Drawing Room 6.12m x 4.63m Feature elevated open fireplace with marble surround.  Cornice and picture rail.
Dining Room 6.15m x 4.69m Open fireplace, slate and marble surround, cornice & picture rail.
Bathroom 3.35m x 2.90m With w.c., w.h.b, bath, shower connection and separate shower stall.
Family Room 5.53m x 4.59m With beamed ceiling.  Elevate featured stone fireplace with back boiler.
Porch off Family Room 2.85m x 2.43m With door to outside
Kitchen 7.06m x 3.96m Extensive range of floor and eye level presses, double drainer stainless steel sink unit, worktop, part-tiled walls.  Tiled floor, beamed ceiling and door to outside.  Door to:
Tack/Utility Room 6.54m x 3.63m Single drainer stainless steel sink unit, beamed ceiling, worktop and plumbed for washing machine.  Part-lofted, door to outside.

 

Garden Level (Potential for Self-Contained Apartment 
Room 1 4.73m x 6.17m
Room 2 4.90m x 6.16m
Room 3 4.01m x 2.42m
Stairs to First Floor
Spacious Landing Area 5.88m x 2.50m
Bedroom 1 5.44m x 4.71m With built-in units.
Bedroom 2 3.36m x 2.79m
Bedroom 3 6.16m x 4.83m
Bedroom 4 4.80m x 4.12m
Bedroom 5 2.63m x 2.70m
Bathroom 2 3.09m x 1.91m With w.c., w.h.b., bath, tiled half-wall.
Total Floor Area: c. 410 sq.m. / c. 4,413 sq.ft.
OUTBUILDINGS 
4 Car Garage extending to 12.36m x 5.78m
4 Span Hayshed with Leanto
10 Stables
Series of Stone Outbuildings
Courtyard
13th Century Norman Castle

Services

ESB.

Private water supply & mains

Sewerage to septic tank.

OFCH

Outside

Various lots.

11 loose boxes.

Charming Courtyard.

4-car garage

Semi-derelict lodge

Rear yard with two stores.

Old coachhouse.

4-span hayshed with leanto

Directions

Proceed out the Wexford to Rosslare Road/N25 and take the right turn signposted for Kilmore (R739).  Continue down this road and turn left in Ballycogley, between the two pubs.  Proceed down here and the entrance to Ballycogley House & Castle is approximately 400m on the left hand side (For Auction signage)